Tuesday, September 13, 2011

I'm just trying to do the best that I can

I'm back from my trip to Indiana. I had a great time and really enjoyed my visit. Unfortunately, I couldn't hear much for most of the time so it was difficult to keep up in conversations but I did okay. Thankfully my family caught on pretty quick that they needed to speak up and look directly at me so I could read their lips. Luckily, no major vertigo attacks. Only felt a little dizzy the first night I was there and then a little the day after I got back, probably from all the driving. Anyways, here is a pic of me and the birthday boy!


Overall it was a nice trip, but it's good to be back home. EXCEPT for the fact that I came back to some unfortunate news...

I don't want to get into a lot of details right now, but basically some people seem to think that being on disability means that you can't have ANY enjoyment in your life. Painting, felting and other arts and crafts make me happy. I don't make a living off of what I do. In fact, I hardly ever sell any of my work. I just do it because I enjoy it. It's one of the few things I can do on the days that I'm completely deaf and not dizzy where I can actually feel somewhat at peace. I'm able to somehow tune out the constant tinnitus and forget about my hearing loss and just be free for a little bit. I can't do it every day. Sometimes I go weeks without stepping foot in my studio because the dizziness, headaches, and depression from isolation and hearing loss are just too much. But as soon as I'm able to get back to the studio to paint, draw or create something new I'm going to do it. It's my time to feel somewhat normal. I'm just trying to do the best that I can with what I'm given. I wish everyone could see it that way.

Sorry for the rant. I know most of you understand where I'm coming from. It's difficult to live with an invisible illness.

Much Love,
Shanon

3 comments:

  1. Being on disability means you have a problem... one that sucks so bad, you can't do something you long to do, work. People suck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about your bad news....I so enjoyed the trip....wish we lived closer.

    ReplyDelete