Friday, June 17, 2011

Being Prepared

It's always a good idea to be prepared. Especially if you have meniere's disease. Here are a few ways that I like to plan ahead. Feel free to add to the list in the comments section! :)

1. ALWAYS have your cell phone with you. - This can be tough at times but it's really important especially if you have a sudden drop attack and hurt yourself, or just need help getting to a more comfortable place to rest.

2. ALWAYS have your meds close by. - I don't leave the house without my medications in case of a dizzy episode. You never know when you might need them. AND be sure your meds are always filled and that you have enough on hand.

3. Prepare an emergency kit - If there is a place in your house or office that you spend a lot of time, I recommend you have an emergency kit close by. I'll have to post pictures of my soon, but basically it's a kit with meds, water, wash clothes, vomit bags, a pillow and blanket. Anything you might need in case you have an attack.

4. Prepare a food menu for the week. - It's a good idea to have meals planned out so that when you are having a bad day you don't have to think about "what's for dinner?" I also like to have meals prepared and ready to drop in the oven for the days that I don't feel well enough to make something.

5. Rest - Be sure to plan for enough sleep and rest when you need it. Not having enough sleep can really effect your condition. Usually I don't have to get up by a certain time in the mornings but when I know I will have to get up early I will go to bed early. And I ALWAYS lie down when I'm starting to feel sick. It's better to catch an attack early in its development than to let it go.

6. Allow plenty of time to get ready - One thing I've learned since my Meniere's has gotten worse in the last several months is to allow myself plenty of time to get ready to leave the house. I used to eat breakfast, shower, do my hair and makeup all in an hour or less. Now I give myself two hours. Sometimes I don't need the whole two hours and I'm ready early. But sometimes I have to rest several times while I'm getting ready which can take up the whole two hours or more.


I'm sure there is more, but that's everything I can think of right now. I hope this list will help you be prepared for your next attack and maybe lessen the anxiety and worry about when your next spell will occur. I once had a panic attack because I couldn't find my cell phone when I had to leave for work. I searched the house frantically, destroying everything in sight certain that I couldn't leave the house without my phone. It's better to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.

Much Love,
Shanon

No comments:

Post a Comment