Monday, June 20, 2011

Art Therapy

When I was going through some of my most challenging times with depression due to Meniere's Disease and the anxiety that comes along with it, I was finding it difficult to coupe as most people do. Unfortunately, the normal treatment for this is an anti-depressant, something that I didn't want any part of but was finding it difficult to avoid. The more severe my Meniere's got the more depressed I got and soon I found myself at rock bottom with no other answers. Everyone I turned to suggested drugs to get me through it. My family, friends and of course several doctor's gave me recommendations. But deep down I knew that this was not the answer for me. I'm more of a naturalist. I prefer to drink plenty of fluids and get lots of rest for a bad cold than to get hopped up on medications. So for me treating my sadness wasn't any different. But of course this was much more challenging than treating the common cold. Luckily, I found two things that helped me through it all, and still help me today.

One, was counseling. I think having someone to talk to and to teach me how to deal with my vertigo episodes was imperative. I received some great treatment through counseling and would recommend it to anyone who is battling with depression. The second thing that helped me though my darkest of days was art therapy. I found that painting took away my stress, anxiety and sadness. I even seemed to take away my tinnitus. Of course the ringing in my ears was still there but when I paint it's like it just disappears. It's amazing! Now I know what some of you are thinking, "I don't have a creative bone in my body, I can't do art therapy." PLEASE give it a try. You never know, you might surprise yourself! :)

Here are a few of my recent paintings. I created them on 6" x 6" wood blocks.


Start off with sketching, or doodling. Maybe try watercolor or pastels. Even paint by number can be therapeutic! I hope you'll give it a try and I hope you love it as much as I do. Of course, be sure to decide with your doctor if anti-depressants are right for you. I'm not a doctor and don't in any way recommend not treating your depression medically if it's what is best for you. What is most important is that you feel better!

Much Love,
Shanon

No comments:

Post a Comment