Sunday, June 26, 2011

A much needed vacation!


I can't remember the last time we went on a REAL vacation. For the last 2-3 years all my time off from work was spent in a doctor's office, or at home dizzy and in bed. So when my hubby had a business trip come up in Miami, Florida I jumped at the opportunity to get away. Actually, at first I was a little hesitant to go along with him, worried I would have an attack while I was so far from home and end up ruining both of our trips. But after we weighed our options and thought about the pros and cons of me staying home versus going with him, I soon realized that I wasn't ready to put my life on hold just because I have Meniere's disease. It just wouldn't have been fair for me to sit at home alone, waiting. Even though I was super excited to go I was still scared to death. In spite of my fears I decided to go for it, and let me tell you I'm so glad I did. It was great to get away and RELAX for once. I think I've been in such a routine of worry and fear that I forgot what it felt like to just relax. I got out and saw the sights, sunned by the pool, played on the beach and I ate yummy food without worrying about every ounce of sodium and sugar I consumed. Now don't get me wrong, I didn't go crazy eating whatever I wanted and I stayed cautious of my balance, but for the most part I let loose and tried to feel "normal" for once. I did have a couple "bad" episodes, but for the most part it went great! The second night we were there I stayed confined to the hotel room because of a dizzy episode. It wasn't a horrible attack but I definitely couldn't walk let alone leave my bed. I ended up passing on our dinner plans and stayed in bed to sleep. By the next morning I was feeling better. My second "bad" episode was when (silly me) tried snorkeling. We knew it might not be a good idea for me, but I just had to try. Like I said, I'm not willing to let my condition hold me back. Unfortunately, it didn't work out well. I don't recommend snorkeling for anyone with Meniere's disease, at least not in rough waters. The mask made me feel dizzy instantly and then getting in the water with waves crashing into me made my balance all disoriented. Luckily, I immediately noticed that this was a bad idea and I got out of the water ASAP! Spent the rest of my time on the boat while everyone else had a great time snorkeling. It ended up being kinda a waste of money but a lesson well learned. No more snorkeling for me! :)

Overall it was a great trip. We were there for four days and I had only one bad day. SO glad I decided to go! Don't ever let Meniere's disease hold you back. Do what you can and now your limits. Life is too short.

Much Love,
Shanon

No comments:

Post a Comment