Monday, June 13, 2011

Saying "Good-Bye"

It's really difficult to say good-bye. That's no secret. But it's REALLY difficult when you REALLY don't want to.

Tonight my co-workers threw me a little farewell party. It was a wonderful gathering of people I've worked with and got to know as friends over the last 7 years. We enjoyed some yummy food, and had great conversations with lots of laughs. But in the end I had to say good-bye. Good-bye to friends. Good-bye to my job. Good-bye to being a graphic artist for a wonderful company who really cares about their employees. But, I never wanted to leave this way. Now don't get me wrong, I wasn't planning on retiring there or anything. But I wanted to leave on MY terms. I wanted to leave when I was ready. I wanted to leave because I got an exciting new job, or was going to be a stay at home mom, or for some other new chapter in my life. But instead it's because I have Meniere's Disease. It's because I can't always walk down the hallway from my office to the bathroom. Or I can't hear what's going on in an important meeting. Or I can't get out of bed and make it to work because of a dizzy episode.

But while saying good-bye may be difficult, it doesn't have to be the end. I can still visit my friends at work when I'm able. And on my good days I can still draw and paint and create art from home. I didn't want to say good-bye to my job, but I refuse to let Meniere's Disease take over. I refuse to say good-bye to my life.

Much Love,
Shanon

No comments:

Post a Comment