Monday, July 4, 2011

Independence Day

As I think of the word "independence" I think about all that I've had to give up on because of my bi-lateral Meniere's disease, causing me to feel less and less independent. I don't go anywhere without my cell phone...not even within my own house. I don't drive anymore. So many times I've had to rely on my husband to talk on the phone for me, or help me through a face to face conversation because I can't hear.

It's easy to think about all that I've lost and the difficulties that go along with this condition. But I try to look at the positive. I try to focus on the good days. I'm still able to do my art and create because I have my vision. And I can still communicate with my family and friends with text messages, facebook, email and all the other wonderful forms of technology. And most important I have a wonderful husband who is happy to take care of me when I need help. If I can't have my personal independence I'm so grateful to have someone so willing to walk me through it.

Happy Fourth of July everyone! I hope you are having a wonderful and safe Independence Day! And if you're going to be watching the fireworks tonight, be sure to wear your earplugs if you are sensitive to loud sounds like many Menerie's sufferers!

Much Love,
Shanon

No comments:

Post a Comment